Monday, December 5, 2011

How I Started Decorating Cakes


It was really hard for me to figure out what to write for this first entry.  I didn’t really feel like I had anything to say that anyone would want to read.  So since a picture is worth a thousand words, let's start with that. 


This was my first attempt at cake decorating, back in 2008.  My officemate Lauren was leaving the firm and I wanted to make a special cake for her.  If I remember correctly, I was at the store buying stuff to make the cake and I saw a "do-it-yourself" cake decor kit.  I thought it might be a fun thing to try.  

My sister thought it was a bad idea.  Surely I would just get frustrated.  It would all end in disaster.

From this angle - it doesn't look so bad.  Check this one out:


It wasn't the first time I ever made a cake.  It was just the first time I tried to make it look cool.  The cake was lopsided, uneven, domed and it split in the middle (I cleverly tried to disguise that with the blue frosting "river").  My letters weren't great and the leaves were terrible.  Of course it tasted wonderful.  And Lauren was pleased with it (I think).  But something happened to me that day.

I had a new hobby.

Not that I needed another one.  But three years and a very large amount of cake decorating tools later, there is just something about decorating cake that I love.  It's hard, stressful and usually takes me a very long time.  Oftentimes it can be tedious work.  Especially since I usually don't really know what I'm doing.  Usually after every cake I make, I say - never again!  And then some event or other rolls around and I'm doing it all over again.

The problem with cake decorating is that once you've created this masterpiece, this great cake work of art - everyone just eats it.  

Hence, the blog.  Here I can share my triumphs and my failures in picture form.  I hope that there are more triumphs than failures.  And I hope you enjoy the pictures.

After all - a little cake makes the world a better place.



1 comment:

Janine Petry said...

Joy--this is AWESOME! Good work; now I can follow all your caking (nice verbage)... love it. :)