Sunday, September 9, 2018

Mrs. Potato Head

So, I thought that I was ready to post the Curious George cake, but I have since discovered that I skipped 4 cakes that I made before the last one I posted.  Oops.  That's what happens when you get so far behind . . . .

My niece Chloe was born in the month of December.  As all you December babies are aware, sometimes this means her birthday gets celebrated in a completely different month.  If I remember correctly, this was the year that her baby sister arrived on New Year's Eve.  So we celebrated Chloe's third birthday in January instead.  Chloe always gives me easy ideas for her cakes and this year was no exception.  She wanted a Mrs. Potato Head cake.

I was pretty excited about making all the little elements for this cake.  However, first I had to carve the right shape for the cake itself.


As most of my sister's kids do, she requested chocolate cake (although I believe her older brother had something to do with that . . . .)


I knew I would have a lot of fondant elements, and I tried to stick with traditional potato head colors.


 I colored the fondant and then started making the pieces.  The shoes and the earrings:


The purse and the eyes (I love the eyes so much)


The lips, ears, nose, and hands:


 I thought about leaving off some of the elements and just putting them on the cakeboard as if the child had not put in all of the pieces yet.  I started with the hat.


Then added the lips.


 Then the nose, eyes, and shoes.


At this point I just decided it would look best with all of the elements on, so I added the arms, purse, ears, earrings, and a little bling for the hat.


Here's a closer look at some of the elements:


I love that purse!




And here is the star of the day, wearing her I'm the big sister shirt.


Unlike her sister Elisa, Chloe is ready to cut the cake and eat it.  We are done admiring it, just take a picture and dole it out already!


Happy third birthday Chlo Chlo!


No comments: